Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Courtesy, and teens

I posted this story in 2006 when it was six years old.
Now it is eleven years old. Our family looked like this, when the story was new:



A story slightly involving allowance, but a snapshot of how kids who aren't desperate for money can act:

Two of Marty's friends were going to pick him up to go run around, but they ended up staying here. Then another friend came over to see all my kids. Then a friend of Kirby's from work came over. I hadn't met her before. She was nice. So my three (14, 17, 19) plus four more (17-21) were all having a great time laughing and looking at stuff on Kirby's computer and around our house, and Marty's big Lego Viking village, and so forth.

They decided to go out for ice cream and then to see "Over the Hedge." I asked Holly if she needed money, and she didn't. (She saves her allowance up.) Every other person there has a job. Outside of Kirby possibly having an interest in the girl from work, there were no couples. Two of those kids do have steady others, but didn't bring them over. So it was four teenaged girls, four teenaged boys, no romantic tension (unless Kirby and new-girl; didn't see any).

And here's the big success part. They asked Keith if he wanted to go. I didn't know they had, when Marty came and asked me if I wanted to go. So they would have taken me, or Keith, or both of us, with them.

We separately thanked them and declined and found out later they had asked us both. Pretty sweet!

We didn't "teach them" to invite their parents to the movies. One advantage of our not going was that then they could fit into the big van and didn't have to take two cars.

The van they went in:



SandraDodd.com/math/allowance
Sweetness in Teens
The photos are links.

1 comment:

  1. No one has ever objected to my math in the story above; they should have. There must have been four and three, or three and four. :-)


    So here's a bonus story, from September 18, 2015. I posted it on facebook, but here it will be for later:
    ________________________

    Holly and I were playing rummy, and talking, about cleaning out things, like her old math papers, from the community college a few years ago.
    I counted my score wrong. She said "Haven't you ever taken a math class?"

    "Not lately. You've taken one since I have."

    "Well, I'll tell you what's new. Ratios and fractions are the same thing....[and something else I forgot]
    Word problems don't exist."

    I was laughing.

    She went on: "And if you ever need to find the lowest common denominator, good luck with that."

    She beat me at rummy, as usual.

    _____________________________

    Back to my too-old story...
    Probably Marty's friends were Brett and Julie; but maybe three came over.
    Single arrival might've been Sadie, or Jeremy; probably Sadie.
    Friend from work... Michelle, I think?

    So maybe four girls and three boys, to ice cream and the movie.

    Holly might remember.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!